Home Recipe Index Contact Me Copyright About Me

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dal-Pakwan


Dal Pakwan:Lentils with Unleavened Bread


This is very Famous Sindhi BreakFast.



Recently my Sindhi friend family visited her here in US.And Her mom called us for Sindhi Dinner.
Out of all the dishes this dish took away my heart.

When I saw this dish I was like “What is this combination Matri with dal????”, I was like..ahhh I don’t think so I want to eat this.

But when I tried it, I don’t want to stop eating it.I never thought Matri(We call this in NorthIndia) with dal will go so well.

Welllll!!!!!!!!!!!!the result was I was not able to stop myself to give it a try and now it is one of recipe i always crave for.
This is famous for BreakFast but this is so filling that you can serve it as a MainCOurse Meal too.

Dal

Ingredients
1 1/2 Cup chana dal
1 tsp cumin seeds
One Small Onion
green chillies acc to taste
3 cups water
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp amchur Powder
Salt to taste
1-2 tsp oil
A pinch of asafoetida

Pakwan

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour(Maida)
1 Cup wheat Flour
1 tbs Suji(You can skip this but this will it really crispy Structure)
1/2 tsp Ajwain (caraway)seeds
2-3 tspn oil (Ghee is preferred)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Black Pepper powder
Sufficient water to make a dough
Oil for deep frying

Method:

For Dal:
Wash dal and soak it for 1-3 hour
Pour 1-2 tspn oil in a cooker and allow it to heat.Add little water and close the lid of cooker and give one whistle.Open the lid,check the dal ,it should be tender but not mushy.
In a pan add hing, cumin seeds and chopped onion and fry for a couple of minutes,than add it to dal.Add some amchoor powder.

For pakwan:

Mix the flour with all ingredients and sufficient water and make a dough.Dough should neither be too hard nor too soft.Let the dough rest for 15 min.Roll like chapati.
Prick the surface with fork/ knife, so that it don’t puff out (don’t forget to do this)
Heat the oil till smoking point ,Slide in the Pakwan and carefully fry it,on medium or low flame till it turns crisp and golden in color.



Serving:
Serve pakwan with dal,coriander/mint chutney,tamraind chutney,green chillis and onion.
Take a pakwan spread the dal over it then pour both the chutneys a lil but and sprinle onion n green chilli.you can give a lil hint of Lemon also.
Enjoyy!!!

1 comment:

Dave said...

I never knew it was so simple to make.
I am making this on sunday to give my wife a big surprise.
Dev Chandani
USA